I was thinking about not posting anything for New Year’s but I have been spending a lot of time over the last couple of days thinking about resolutions.
Last year I didn’t really make any resolutions because I felt like I’d made all the changes I wanted to make in November. I feel a little bit like I’ve done that again this year, so I have decided that I will write a list of 2013 goals that I hope to stick to instead and can add to at any time:
- Finish the first read over and edits for draft 1 of my NaNoWriMo novel by 18 January.
- Write one page synopsis of novel by 18 January. *
- Take the Intro to Acting course at National Theatre.
- Ride my bike to work (except when it’s raining or forecast to be over 35 degrees).
- Write a novella length piece for young adults.
- Win NaNoWriMo again.
- Keep writing!
- Take trips to interesting places in Victoria for photo opportunities and adventures.
- Continue to attend writing groups, philosophical discussion groups, and look for others.
- Make more time to read (the pile of books in my bedroom on my ‘To Read’ list is growing).
- Plan my next big holiday.
- Make new friends and spend time with old ones.
I have tried to make these realistic and achievable goals that will still be able to challenge me. I hope that I will come up with more goals to add to the list over the coming year.
To encourage myself I will start with some affirmations:
- I start the New Year with the right attitude.
- I embrace the fact that my path will be difficult sometimes on the way to growth.
- I spend time on myself working through the things which are holding me back and causing me unhappiness.
- I accept setbacks and changing priorities with ease (there are no excuses to give up).
- I have valuable things to say/write and other people want to hear/read them.
Thank you to everyone in my life for the last year, I have made some big changes and I appreciate you all sticking with me and learning to love the new me. I know that the path ahead has some darkness on it, and I accept that I have to get through the night to reach the dawn. I think this year has some amazing things in store for me over the horizon and I’m going to grab them with both hands.
Happy New Year everyone, welcome to 2013!
*I am attending a Penguin Books workshop on popular writing on 19 January and will be meeting with them to discuss my work, so having both of these done is a must.